Work with a Legal Team Who Truly Cares


What is PIP?

Posted in

Personal injury protection (“PIP”), also called no-fault auto insurance coverage, covers medical expenses after a car accident, regardless of who caused the accident.

Kansas requires PIP. PIP is not available in Missouri.

What Does PIP Cover?

PIP covers your medical expenses that you must pay as a result of a car accident, whether it is your fault or not. PIP can cover the passengers in your car. It can cover your expenses if you are a passenger in a car that is involved in a car accident. It can also cover your medical expenses if you are walking or riding a bicycle and you get hit by an automobile.

The type of expenses that PIP can cover, within your coverage limit, can include the following: medical treatment; surgical procedures; dental treatment; optometric treatment; ongoing professional care/nursing services; medication expenses; ambulance expenses; prosthetic device expenses; lost wages in some cases where you were unable to go to work because of the injuries you suffered in the car accident; funeral expenses in some cases where there was a death as a result of the car accident; and expenses of services you had to hire because you could not perform your household chores or tasks such as housekeeping or childcare, that you used to be able to do before the accident.


Now that we have explained what PIP covers, we will explain what PIP does not cover. PIP does not cover property damages. For example, if you drive your car into your neighbor’s house, PIP will not cover the price of the damage to the house or the damage to your car. PIP does not cover theft of your vehicle.

PIP coverage has a limit. Each policy holder’s limit is different; it depends on your policy and your state. Your PIP coverage will only cover your medical expenses to its coverage limit. PIP does not cover the injuries of the people in the other car if you are the at-fault driver; this type of insurance is bodily injury liability.

How Do I Use PIP?

You file for a PIP claim the same way that you file for your other type of insurance claims, it depends on your insurance company. Some companies allow you to do it online or by phone. If were in a crash and you went to the ER, you can use PIP for the immediate care you needed after the accident. But for ongoing treatment after that initial necessary treatment, make sure to check your insurance policy to understand the process. Sometimes you need to send in your treatment plan for approval within a certain number of days.

Minimum Coverage

For Kansas, the minimum coverage is listed below:$4,500 per person for medical expenses$900 per month for disability/loss of income$4,500 for rehabilitation expenses$2,000 for funeral expenses$25 per day for in-home expenses, capped at a year

Note that you may have a higher coverage limit if you pay higher premiums every month.

How does PIP work with my other insurance policies?The way PIP works with your other policies depends on your policies. If you are not at fault, typically you would exhaust your PIP first, then turn to your other options. If your PIP does not cover the full cost of your medical bills, for example, you could file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Unfortunately, in many cases, this still might not to be enough, or they will not give you all the compensation you deserve. That is why it is beneficial to hire an attorney to make sure you get the best compensation possible and in case you need to file a lawsuit.


In some cases, the financial strain that an auto accident can cause are just as bad, if not worse, than the physical injuries. Avoid the headache and leave it to an experienced personal injury attorney. Call Mark Grover with the Grover Law Firm at 913-432-1000 to set up your free consultation.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.